Cleaning products are one of the most toxic substances found in the average household today. Have you ever noticed the headache or itchy skin you get after a few minutes of cleaning? This is a clear indication that the chemicals in the product are reacting with your body. Most cleaners use the phrase: “Kills 99.9% of germs”, but since when were all germs bad? Since when did germs try to kill us? Its toxins like these that are killing us.
Febreze Air Effects has been reported to contain 89 airborne contaminants, most of which are cancer causing. Febreze masks the smells that you are trying to rid the room with, which creates an even more toxic environment as the chemicals do not disappear. Simply using baking soda or opening a window is all you need to remove stink naturally. Also, more than half of the ingredients in these products aren’t regulated or tested for their safety, so that itself is an extreme risk. The chemicals found in these products affect the endocrine system, the hormones, lungs, and especially the brain. The reason for that poison control phone number on the back of the bottle is because that substance is a well known poison to humans whether its ingested, on your bare skin or inhaled.
Here are some easy, clean and effective do-it-yourself recipes for a safer home:
All Purpose Cleaner:
- 2 tbs vinegar
- 2 tbs castile soap
- 13 cups warm water
- 8 drops of Pine essential oil
- Mix the castile soap with the vinegar followed by 500 ml of water.
- Add the rest of the water with the essential oil for anti-microbial properties.
- 1 cup vinegar
- 1 cup water
- Clean the glass with rubbing alcohol before using this mix to remove previous chemicals that have touched the surface. If you are unsure of the vinegary smell, add a few drops of an essential oil to keep the room smelling fresh.
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 tbs vinegar
- 3-4 cups warm water
- Mix ingredients together and store in a warm area, as it works best when the substance is warm. Keep it in the sun or in a bottle, placed in a bowl of warm water.
Toilet Bowl Cleaner:
- 1 cup borax
- 1 cup washing soda
- Mix ingredients together and scrub.
These are only a few ways to clean your house with green ingredients, but I have found them to be very effective! Chemical free products create a cleaner and safer home for you and your loved ones.